Sunday, March 4, 2012

Blog Post #6

Randy Pausch's Last Lecture

The name is what it is. This video is the lecture of Randy Pausch's last lecture before he dies. First, he talks about his childhood dreams which include being in zero gravity, playing in the NFL, Authoring an article in the World Book encyclopedia, being Captain Kirk, winning stuffed animals, and being a Disney Imagineer. Most were achieved except the playing in the NFL and being Captain Kirk. However, he did play football and he met the actor who played Captain Kirk. In this video he speaks about how he achieved his dreams and the fun details about how he got there.
When talking about his time playing football, Randy says that he coach was tough on him. Randy said, "When you see yourself doing something badly and no one's bothering to tell you anymore, that's a very bad place to be." It was a good thing that his coach was tough on him because that meant he cared. I've actually experienced this before in my life. I would go home and ask my parents why my voice teacher was harder on me than the other students. They told me that it was a good thing that my teacher was hard on me. I ended up getting more solos in the end.
Randy spoke about his challenge of becoming a Disney Imagineer. When faced obstacles he says, "Brick walls are there for a reason: they let us prove how badly we want things." I never thought about a rejection in life the way he did. He found the positive in what most what only see the negative. Randy also says that how you say things is very important. There's a big difference between saying something with an opened mind and a closed mind.
Some other words of advice he proclaims is to never end the child like wonder, help others, and of course, have fun! He also didn't set a bar for his students. By doing that they were able to achieve much more than if he put a limit to their learning. During the video, Randy stay so positive! He did express good life lessons but I hope he learned the best one.

Randy Pausch

2 comments:

  1. Hey Eva! I also thought Dr. Pausch's Last Lecture was good. I'm not sure what type of teacher you will be one day, but I know for a fact that as teachers we need to be tough on our students. Not tough, as in mean, but tough enough so they learn what they are supposed to. Also, as teachers we need to stay positive all the time! I know I struggle with that. Especially when I have 3 tests in one week! I need to remember to stay positive and focused on my work. Great post and good luck!
    Erika

    ReplyDelete
  2. The reason we include this video is to inspire you to bust through those brick walls, to raise the bars, to execute effective head fakes and much more. I hope you will do these things when you are a teacher.

    Keep on learning!

    ReplyDelete